Below is a list of our most asked questions. If you still need help, Shoot us an email with any questions on classes, our website, or Heartcore in general. Or send feedback! This is a two-way street.
Is this Pilates?
We are not Pilates! Think of Heartcore as an intense bootcamp on a Pilates-looking machine. If you're looking to rehab an injury or get back into fitness after a long break, we might not be the best choice for you. Our classes are athletic, fast-paced and intense, but we move slowly and with control to minimize impact on joints.
How many calories will I burn?
Calories burned will depend on your weight, height and fitness level. Our clients will burn anywhere from 150-700 calories in a 40 minute session (based on their Fitbit data)!
Other than calories burned, the true benefits of strength workouts like ours come from increasing lean muscle mass. When you add muscle and get stronger, your heart works better, your immune system works better, your metabolism increases dramatically and you burn fat more effectively.
I'm new to Heartcore. Do you offer a Beginner's class?
We currently don't offer Beginner's classes. We believe in learning by doing - and there's no better way to jump right in than taking a group class. Our classes are team-oriented and motivating, and our encouraging atmosphere guarantees optimal fitness results. Classes are made for and welcome all fitness level types.
How do I purchase classes?
We recommend reserving your spot online, as there are only 10 or 11 spots available for each class depending on location. Walk-ins are subject to availability. If you walk-in to your first class without creating an online account, the instructor you will need to create an online account before class starts.
The class I want to sign up for is full. What should I do?
Our classes are popular and tend to fill up quickly. Our schedule for the next week is released every Sunday at 5pm, which is the best time to book! We also recommend signing up a few days in advance or adding yourself to the waitlist. Heartbreakers make schedule changes and cancel out of classes all the time. It's very likely you will get into a class by adding your name to the waitlist online. Also check day-of for last minute openings.
What is the Waitlist?
If a class you’d like to take is full, we recommend putting yourself on the waitlist. In order to do so, you must have an active class package. If a spot opens, you will be added to the class and receive an email and/or text confirmation. If you do not get added into the class, the class is returned to your account.
1. Remember to subscribe to receive emails and/or texts from our studio. Without subscribing, you will not receive any notifications you got into the class off the waitlist. If you are not subscribed to emails or texts, login to your account, and you will see your position on the waitlist or if you got into class.
2. All classes have a 12 hour cancellation policy, if you’re added to a class from the waitlist at the last minute (or more than 12 hours before the start of class), be aware the 12 hour cancellation still applies. If you no longer want a spot in the class, you will need to remove yourself from the waitlist at least 12 hours in advance of the class. If you are added to the class and fail to remove yourself in time, you are still subject to the late cancel and no show fees.
How often should I take class?
It depends on your fitness regimen. If you are very active and want to supplement your routine with Heartcore, 1-2 classes a week will ensure you maintain the neuromuscular connections that build your strength, endurance, balance and flexibility each and every class. When you drop-in once in awhile, it's as if you are starting from scratch every time.
If Heartcore is your main source of fitness, we recommend taking class 3-4 times a week. Your mind-muscle connection will be constantly fired up and you'll be amazed at how fast you'll see results. You'll burn fat, increase flexibility and balance, jump-start your metabolism, strengthen your entire body and ultimately, be in the best shape of your life.
When you start taking classes more than 5 times a week, you may not be getting enough rest and recovery. We're working your muscles to the point of fatigue, so your body will need rest and TLC. Relax and let your body do it's thing (rebuild into a stronger and leaner you). A good indicator of working out too much is feeling super tired, getting injured and/or getting sick more often. Working out without enough rest causes damage and inflammation at every level in your body: from your cells to your organ systems. Take your rest as seriously as your training!
Should I eat before or after class?
We recommend having a small snack 30-45 minutes before working out, such as an apple, a banana, or a handful of almonds. Eating before your workout will help keep your energy level high and also helps burn more fat rather than muscle. Studies show that caffeine before a workout can be beneficial too ;)
After your workout, we suggest you eat some protein within 45 minutes. Eating protein post-workout helps aid muscle recovery. Enjoy a protein smoothie (we love Bulletproof's Upgraded Whey Protein with unsweetened almond milk, spinach and MCT Oil) or maybe some full-fat greek yogurt and berries.
What do I wear and what do I bring to class?
Come prepared with a water bottle (you can fill it up with our water cooler), a towel (esp. if you know you sweat), and wear form-fitting workout clothes (it helps our instructors adjust your form).
Grip socks are required to wear during the workout, they're sold at the studio for $14. There are also various types of grip socks sold on Amazon here.
Please don't wear strong perfume or cologne. Please wear deodorant (we have some in our bathroom) and do your laundry!
How early should I arrive to class?
First class? Arrive at the studio 10 minutes before your scheduled class time to sign-in at the front desk, get familiar with the Megaformer and get set up. If you don't come 10 minutes before class starts, for your safety, you may not be permitted to take class. The class will be credited back into your account, to reschedule for another time.
Heartcore regular? Sign in at the front desk by the time class starts.
Our cancellation policy is 12 hours before class starts. The Late Cancel Fee is $15 for canceling less than 12 hours before class starts.
- If you reserve a class online, and can no longer take the class, please cancel your reservation 12 hours or more before the class starts.
- Example: You're signed up for a 6am class on Tuesday, cancel before 6pm on Monday to avoid a late cancel fee.
- Want to switch class times? The late cancel fee also applies if you switch classes within the 12 hour period.
- Example: You're signed up for the 6:30pm class, but you see a spot open up in the 5:30pm class. To book the 5:30pm class, you will late cancel the 6:30pm class. We're happy if you are able to find another class that works for you, but if you hold a spot in any class longer than 12 hours, you are still charged a late cancel fee for your initial class reservation.
- Make a reservation at the wrong studio? Double check all reservations you make. Every email and text confirmation of your class reservation specifies the studio location. If you arrive at the wrong studio, we will still charge the late cancel or no show fee for missing your initial class reservation.
Absent to Class?
If you reserve a spot online and are absent for the reservation, the No Show Fee is $25. Our class sizes are small so please cancel if you cannot make a class anymore, it helps ensure everyone is able to grab a spot!
Can I take class if I'm pregnant?
If you're pregnant & new to our studio, we require a doctor’s note confirming you're able to take our 40 minute strength-training, resistance workout. Email your doctor's note to firstname.lastname@example.org before taking your first class. Doctors don't advise attempting a new workout while pregnant, especially a workout such as this, which is extremely core intensive. We recommend doing other low intensity workouts while pregnant.
If you're pregnant & a Heartcore regular, and have been taken Megaformer classes before becoming pregnant, you can continue to come as long as you feel comfortable. Everyone’s pregnancy is different, so please consult with your doctor first to ensure he/she is comfortable with you continuing to take class. If at any point during your workout you feel faint, dizzy, or have physical discomfort, you should stop immediately, and consult a physician before returning.
How old do you have to be to take class?
14 years or older.
Can I bring my children to the studio while I take class?
Our studio space is not insured for childcare, so due to safety and insurance concerns, we cannot allow children to remain unattended while class is in session.
Do you have showers?
Unfortunately due to space constraints, we don't have showers in our studio. We do have spray deodorant in the bathroom!
Do you have lockers?
We have cubbies for you to put your personal belongings. If you've left anything at the studio, we keep it in our storage closet, come back as soon as you're able during our open hours and pick it up.
Where do I park?
Allow ample time for parking, especially for weekday evening classes.
Redwood City: Street parking (in front of the studio) and the Main Street Parking Lot (located directly behind our studio) costs $1/hour. Monday-Saturday parking is free before 10am and after 6pm. Sunday parking is free.
If you can't find nearby street parking, we recommend parking in the following parking lots, which are a 5-minute walk away from our studio:
- Jefferson St. Garage: on Jefferson between Broadway and Middlefield (First 1.5 hours are free)
- Marshall St. Garage: on Broadway between Main and Jefferson (First 1.5 hours are free)
- Library Parking Lot: on Middlefield ($1/hour, but free before 10am and after 6pm)
- Wells Fargo Parking Lot: at the intersection of Broadway and Main St (free after 6pm on weeknights)
Menlo Park: There's a parking lot directly behind us on Cambridge Ave. If you don't find parking there, park in the tutoring center's lot across Cambridge Ave; or across El Camino Real in Pace Art Gallery's lot.